Saturday, November 19, 2011

Mazda in Australia is pointing to the development of 4 wheel steering in it's cars. What do you think?

I find it to be a bit intriguing, but I am not sure I would trust 4 wheel steering in slippery conditions. GM tried this with their full size trucks a few years ago. They advertised the improvements in handling, a smaller turn radius etc. Mazda claims the same beneifits and I might add that if the 4 wheel system should fail, it defaults to front wheel steering and locks up the rear wheels in a straight position, then the driver is notified with a failure light. I don't know.|||GM used it on the HD trucks and Honda used it on the Prelude. I think it would be more useful on the truck because they are so big and any improvement in getting around in small areas is a good one. The problem with GM's was it was included in an option package that required you to have every option picked and added $5k+ to the price not including the other options.|||Honda had a 4 wheel steering system in the Prelude. I do know one person who crashed because his 4 wheel steering had a mechanical failure.





But that was a much older car. I'm sure electronics play a much larger role in new systems to prevent failures.





I'm sure they couldn't legally sell it if it's unsafe.|||4 wheel steering has been done on many other makes.


As for me I don't want it.


It is just one more thing to go wrong. While I am impressed with my Mazda's, I would not buy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment