Sunday, November 13, 2011

How do you see blind spots when switching lanes in a Mazda Miata?

I test drove the Mazda Miata and found out I can't even see my blindspots when switching lanes. Since it's such small car it doesn't have a secondary window behind the driver's seat so you can check, all it has is the rear window but that doesn't help at all. How do Mazda Miata drivers tell whos in their blind spot?|||As others have mentioned, adjusting your 3 mirrors are very important to eliminate blind spots.





As a Miata driver you also learn that there are really no blind spots, just other "Blind drivers" who don't pay attention. Driving such a small sports car you learn to become a much more defensive driver. So much more that most Miata drivers become offensive driver. By that I don't mean they cause the trouble by darting all over the freeways, I mean they learn to get themselves out of predicaments that most people find themselves in. ie. between two large trucks, we accelerate out from between them, or just slow down and hang back. You begin to learn to associate more things with other drivers than you do yourself. I actually not only check my mirrors, but I also keep an eye on every driver in front of my by looking into their mirrors and seeing if they are paying attention. Owning my Miata has made me a better driver overall just because it keeps me more alert on the road.|||Here's a method that works very well:





While on the highway, adjust the side mirrors so that as an oncoming car in the next lane begins to disappear from your interior mirror it begins to appear in your side mirror. You will find that when adjusted this way that same oncoming car will begin to appear in your side window just as it disappears from your side mirror.





P.S. This works in nearly any car, not just the Miata.|||As others have said, with the mirrors adjusted right there is not true blind spot. But being a Miata owner and driver, I have to admit that you feel like there is one.


One solution is to put the top down.


Another is the three window after market top (these are hard to find and the dealer I bought mine off no longer carries them). But with some searching you might find one.


I like to put the top down, it works every time.|||Blind spots don't really exist if you have your mirrors adjusted properly. When looking in the side mirrors make sure that you cannot see the side of the car at all, that dead space in the mirror doesn't really help you with anything. With that adjustment and a quick glance over your left shoulder you should be set. I've never had any problems with the 97 I have or the new mx-5 which I got to drive a few months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment